Up to 40 percent of all young people experiencing homelessness identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, or otherwise non-gender-conforming. If you are an LGBTQ young person who is in need of help Second Story is here for you. Each of Second Story’s programs provides a safe, accepting environment for you to learn, grow, heal and stay safe.
The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning (LGBTQ) young people ages 13-24. With the Trevor Project you can speak to a live counselor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on their Lifeline specifically designed to help LGBTQ youth.
- Trevor Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386
- TrevorText: Text “Trevor” to 1-202-304-1200
- A free, confidential, secure service in which LGBTQ young people can text a trained Trevor Counselor for support and crisis intervention, available Monday-Friday from 3-10 pm ET
- TrevorChat is available 7 days a week from 3-10 pm ET
The LGBT National Help Center provides a safe environment on the phone or online for LGBTQ youth and people of all ages to get vital peer-support, community connections, and resource information for people with questions regarding sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
- LGBT National Youth Talkline: 1-800-246-PRIDE (800-246-7743)
- Serving youth through age 25. Peer-counseling, information, and local resources
- LGBT National Hotline: 1-888-843-4564
- Serving callers of all ages (youth and adult). Peer-counseling, information, and local resources
- Online Peer Support Chat: Connect one-on-one with a peer counselor Monday-Friday 4pm-Midnight ET
The It Gets Better Project’s mission is to communicate to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth around the world that it gets better, and to create and inspire the changes needed to make it better for them. Listen to stories from thousands of people about how it gets better and see that you are not alone.