Young people in our programs are writing their second story and overcoming the odds.
Too many young people do not have a safe place to be. Their families face hardship. They’re more at risk of joining a gang, struggling with addiction, or living in poverty. It can seem as if their story has been written for them, and young people don’t have the best choices.
Second Story helps them avert a lifelong struggle. We give them safe haven and enriching experiences to help them make better choices about their lives, and write their second story.
We operate neighborhood-based drop-in centers, offering a safe, relaxed setting for family-oriented, on-site programs, resources, activities and classes to strengthen families in their communities. In our programs, young people are accessing our computers and getting help with their homework, enjoying art programs, and getting a meal. They are talking to staff who know their names and their families and care about who they are. Their families get access to a free clinic, language classes, legal and consultation services, food donations, and a caring community
Currently, Second Story offers community based programs serving the communities of Culmore, Annandale, and Springfield. We operate Family Resource Centers, Safe Youth Projects, and a Teen Center.
- Our Family Resource Centers focus on self-sufficiency, leadership, parenting, and family support.
- Our Safe Youth Projects offer homework help, recreational activities, educational field trips, and workshops to help children improve their grades and make positive decisions.
- Our Teen Center welcomes young people from the 7th grade to the 12th grade, offering a supportive and understanding environment away from gangs and violence.
The centers are the collaborative effort of community-based organizations, the private sector, and county agencies to bring services, information, and resources to community members.
- Teen & Youth Programs
- Joint Parent & Child Programs
- Language Classes
- Referral Services
- Computer Learning Center
- Legal Services
- Community Guidance
- Form Assistance (e.g. benefits, unemployment)
Culmore Family Resource Center (near Bailey’s Crossroads)
3304B Culmore Court
Falls Church, VA 22041
703.379.5217; TTY 711
Springfield/Franconia Family Resource Center
7224 Commerce Street, Apt.T-2
Springfield, VA 22150
703.644.0000; TTY 711
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.